Friday, May 29, 2009

Random "Art" Projects

I was cleaning up my files and came across a lot of random art stuff I did. Thought I would just have one big post about a bunch of the random works I did this past academic year. Nothing special, just wanted to archive some of my hoodie designs and paintings:

Canvas Work (Paint):

Clothing Designs:

One of the old hoodies I made. I wish I still had some pictures of the dozens of hoodies I sold, I thought some of them were really cool.

The inside of Noel's hoodie (two layer spray)

Shirt I made for KD

The only low-quality, photo of the new, and unfinished, Spray Drop Hoodie designs. My initials "KTY" make random appearances on the back.
This is one of a series of hoodie designs based on a character I came up with. I have a few of these designs on a layout, but I got too lazy to print them, and I could never decide on the background pattern to lay this on.


The first real picture I took of my car

40 of the 60 records that I spray painted and did some splatter trails on for my room.

The black light bar in my room. I filled four of the larger clear handles with various UV reactive fluid to make the bar glow green, yellow, and blue with the black light I put behind the bar.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Pop-up TV Cabinet (Video Clip)

Well, I bought an old vintage cabinet on Craigslist for about $30. I then took the whole thing apart, cut down the shelves to half length, re-enforced the bottom, sanded the whole thing it, painted it, and cut a huge hole in the top. I put the top of the cabinet on a hinge and started to build two sets of brackets. I attached a 48" linear actuator (w/ 50-pound capacity) to a metal bracket that I made, added two gas springs to smooth the motion and ease the weight of my 46" TV. I hooked the actuator leads to an automobile remote control/entry system and set the system to sustainable switches. I wired the limit sensors to the back end of the top cabinet swing hinge to detect when the actuator had extended to the edge of the cabinet. Most of the electronics were bought from Fergelli.

This video is of the first test-run, one of the shocks on the right wasn't lubricated enough, kinda scared me when it holds up an expensive TV. Unfortunately, this is video is the only footage I have of it, since I took it apart soon after realizing this was not at all necessary for a dorm room, was annoyingly loud with the weight load and brackets, and the fact that it would be incredibly difficult to transport.

Planned and finished the project in 3 days, took it apart 3 days later.

1 46" TV, 1 $30 vintage cabinet, 1 48" linear actuator, 2 gas springs, 4 sliding brackets, 1 gallon of paint, 1 car-remote system.